Monday, September 13, 2010

Solids Science Unit!

I started my 4 day unit plan on solids this morning. Today's goal was to introduce the idea of solid, liquids and gases. The intro went over really well. They told me "how they knew" it was a solid/ liquid/ gas and what they already knew about them. Then I gave them each a metal screw and a plastic tube. We made observations about the two objects and described their properties. The children knew a lot more properties than I had expected which was such a nice surprise! We had a great discussion and everyone participated. Then I wanted them to write down 2 properties for each object.... this didn't work! Even if they could describe to me what the properties were, they couldn't read it off the list on the board. So we did it as a group and it worked a lot better!
Tomorrow they will get five more objects and learn some more vocabulary for properties. After today I am changing my plans for tomorrow because I had planned for them to do a lot of writing on their own. Instead we are going to do it as a class and have most of it be discussion. I learned a lot about having a back up plan and being able to go with the flow today!!

-Miss Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment