Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Birth control and Seat Belts... Are they a "cultural thing"??

As i watch cars pull out of the parking lot of school i notice that the majority of children never put on their seatbelt. to make it better there are like 4 kids sitting next to each other in the back seat. There are children just old enough to sit up in the front seat just hanging out. Why would you not put a seat belt on your child???? 
Other question- Whats up with having babies every year????? I have one child who has 6 other siblings the oldest is in the third grade and to top it off... mom is prego again! There are several families that have a handful of children and the parents aren't even thirty.

So my question.. Are birth control and seat belts a cultural thing???

4 comments:

  1. How many children someone has is ABSOLUTELY a cultural thing. Proving you can raise children better than your parents did... proving your relationship... proving your devotion to a religious ideal... proving a commitment to zero population growth... proving you are the ideal 2.5 child family - all cultural priorities and none is more correct than another except from the cultural perspective it derives from.

    The seat belt thing... that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry but I don't recognize the screen name "Sparkshap". To whom do I thank for all the advice???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had 5 children by my 29th birthday. My reason for this is neither of those provided above. I just love children and can afford to raise them and can see no better way to live my life. But I am often seen by other people (who don't know me) as irresponsible, or are deeply religious and there is an assumption that I am on some type of government support, which is not the case. I take this responsibility very seriously. So while there are moms out there having babies carefree and irresponsibly, not every young mother with lots of kids got that way from lack of concern for her family. Allie, I think the last time I saw you I only had 3 kids! It's been a while. BTW I am Luke's cousin, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl!
    You are very correct that there are most definitely moms out there that are responsible! I know you are a great mom!!

    ReplyDelete