Monday, September 20, 2010

Apperently I'm too nice

So on the first day of school one of the other teachers told me the best advice she had ever received was "don't be nice in the beginning be as mean as you can be, because if you start out being nice your screwed". I understood what she was saying and it made sense so I tried to be strict on the rules and show the students they couldn't walk all over me. But being me I try to make connections with students and get to know them to form a relationship. I have three boys and one girl in particular that needed some attention and needed a teacher to help motivate them and help them form some self confidence. I would say 2 of the 4 have been named "trouble children" so they often get blamed for bad behavior before the teacher even knows what’s going on. So I wanted them to feel like I was on their side and they could trust me.
It has worked wonderfully for the most part. The children feel comfortable talking to me when they are frustrated and seem to really trust me.
I like to do silly things with the kids. Like to teach the difference between flexible and rigid during science we made our arms wiggle and then be hard. I think kids enjoy the silliness and sometimes remember the information better. But when it comes to getting everyone’s attention and getting them all quiet I seem to have screwed myself! I was trying to get their attention to tell them what to do for journal and they just don’t shut up! I found my self really frustrated and feeling defeated. I like my style of making them laugh and doing full body movements, but I can’t compromise my authority.
Where’s the line???

- A somewhat defeated Miss Hansen

2 comments:

  1. The kids like to do fun things. You just have to be more stern when it's time to pull them back in. It takes a lot of practice. You'll get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Signals... cues... build some expectations around routines. Flick the lights, Clap a rhythm, do a call and response... I sing.

    It doesn't matter what is going on, there is one song that signals time to clean up. I start to sing, and if they are too loud, I walk around and sing near them, and when they hear it, they know what to do.

    The real trick is to make sure they know your signal. When they are out of control, stop everything, sit still in one spot and look as defeated and discouraged as you feel. One by one they will catch on that you are waiting, and they will get each other to stop... that's the opportunity to ask for their help and make an agreement with them that when you do X, they know what it means.

    Get them to buy in... then it doesn't have to be about being mean or nice, it just has to be about establishing the line!

    ReplyDelete