Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Years Traditions

The Tuesday we came back to school was an exciting day! The children appeared to be refreshed and re energised for school. As we sat on the rug discussing our break I got several expected answers:
"I played in the snow"
"I went to my grandma's house"
"my mommy had a baby",
"We didnt hear shots at midnight so we were sad"... Wait What??!?!

I was totally confused so I asked for more information.
 "What do you mean "shots", like fireworks?"
 "No Miss Hansen shots, we stay in side and wait but we didn't hear any so we were sad".

 Still confused I moved on deciding to figure this out when not everyone was around. So when we went to lunch,  I asked the other teachers if they knew what this child was talking about. Everyone did except the White girl from Parker, CO!
Apparently on New Years it is a tradition for those in the neighborhood to go out and fire their weapons into the sky as a form of celebration! The children are used to having to stay inside because "its shooting out there". (This phrase is used in the same way one might say "its raining out there", because of its regularity).

Crazy right!!!!

-Miss Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment