Monday, August 30, 2010

A little about my children...

97-98% of the area is African American most living below poverty level. 98% of our school is on Free Breakfasts and Lunches which is extremely high! Most of our children live in the neighborhood and walk to school. We have one regular bus and three special needs busses. We have a lot of students on Individualized Education Plan (IEP). An IEP might be made for ADHD, learning disabilities, speech delays or behavior issues. In a "typical" school having one student in any classroom in normal, I have four in my room alone.

Another common problem in our school is students having asthma. There is a large power plant of some sort nearby so I wonder if that has an impact on the community’s health. It is also not uncommon for the students to be exposed to second hand smoke so that could also affect them.



"I'm hungry!!" Students are supposed to get to school in time to eat breakfast before going to class and are also provided with lunch. But if they come to school hungry during the week, they are probably hungry over the weekend too. So how do we make sure children have food to eat when they aren't at school?? Power Packs!!

Power Packs are sent home with eligible children on every Friday. They include food like canned chili, fruit cups, power bars and Horizon Milk (doesn't need to be refrigerated so it lasts longer). I had never heard of a school doing something like this before but I was so thankful when I knew the children were being helped!

-Miss Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment